20 Jun 2013
Power of Just Doing Stuff launches in Crystal Palace
The Power of Just Doing Stuff is now officially launched and out in the world! Following a pre-launch at Saturday’s Schumacher Lectures in Bristol, the book was officially kicked off at an amazing event in Crystal Palace, London. I am making a short film of the day there which I will post soon, but for now, here’s a short account, some audio and photos from the evening. I am deeply indebted to John Barrett and Jonathan Goldberg for the great photos here. I had spent the afternoon visiting some of the many projects Crystal Palace Transition Town (CPTT) have started over their 2 year existence, and meeting members of the group. The evening event was in the Grain and Grape pub, and was packed. Here is the talk I gave, with an introduction from Joe Duggan of CPTT.
The heating in the pub was turned on, and the landlord who has only been running the place for a couple of weeks, had no idea how to turn it off, so the book was, quite literally, given a very warm reception indeed, on a London evening that was already very close and muggy. The evening also featured a talk by Agamemnon Otero from Brixton Energy, short project summaries from various members of CPTT, a Q&A and music from Franck Alba. Here are some photos of the event.
I am deeply indebted to the remarkable CPTT group for putting on the event, to everyone who came, to the staff at the Grape and Grain who were so accommodating, and to everyone else who made it happen. We’re not finished yet though! This event was the first ‘Transition Thursday’ (even though it was a Tuesday). The next events are:
- Wednesday 26th June. Totnes Civic Hall, 8pm (free). Book launch with music and beer.
- Thursday 27th June. Sheffield. 7-9 pm Quaker Meeting House, Sheffield S1 2EW, £5/£3 More info and bookings here.
- Thursday 4th July: Transitions Downham and Villages, Swaffham and Kings Lynn. You can find more information here.
- Thursday 11th July: Worthing, Sussex. St Paul’s Art Centre, Chapel Road, Worthing. 7pm (doors open 6.30pm). More info here.
- Thursday 18th July: The Stanhope Hall, Horncastle, Lincolnshire. 7pm.
- Thursday 25th July: Marsden and Slaithwaite Transition Towns (MASTT) Details are still to be announced.
Come along! We’ve also been getting some great media coverage, on Triple Pundit, in The Guardian, The Economic Voice, Bristol Evening Post, BBC Radio Bristol (2 days left to listen), and with more to come.