Transition Culture

An Evolving Exploration into the Head, Heart and Hands of Energy Descent

Transition Culture has moved

After eight years of frenzied blogging at this site, Transition Culture has moved to its new home. Do come and join us, but feel free to also browse this now-archived site and use the shop. Thanks for all your support, comments and input so far, and see you soon.

11 Jun 2009

Please Take Your Seats Ladies and Gentlement, the Online Screening of ‘In Transition’Starts Now…

old_cinema

** Please note: Due to a Request from the US that not enough people had heard about this in time, this online preview screening will now be extended until last thing Sunday night (BST)**

The film ‘In Transition’ is now available for viewing, for the next 72 hours.  The version being screened is not the final version, it still has a sequence to add and some tidying up to do, but is almost there.  We very much hope you enjoy it (you will need Quicktime on your computer)….  Please leave comments and feedback below.  For more information on the film’s release click here.  Also, if having seen it you would like to make a donation to help us finish it, please use the Paypal button below. So, to watch ‘In Transition’, click here.  Enjoy it and no rusting your popcorn at the back now please…. hey, and you two in the back row, do you mind?

Categories: Transition Movie

Comments are now closed on this site, please visit Rob Hopkins' blog at Transition Network to read new posts and take part in discussions.

99 Comments

Rob
11 Jun 8:45am

I was supposed to put this up this evening, but pressed a wrong button and put it up this morning… a nice surprise hopefully, a bonus day’s viewing!

julian duggan
11 Jun 9:15am

I seem to be getting sound track only, no pictures.I have not got Quicktime Pro only basic.Any ideas.

dave
11 Jun 9:24am

I have to say that I was ready to be on board with the transition movement based on my assumptions until I saw this film. The existence of ‘transition trainers’ introduced about halfway through the film was the last straw for me, especially the kind of exercises they have people doing, it looks like a cult. It looks foolish and commodified. The education part was dissapointing- it lacks imagination to assume that education should comprise naff handicrafts as a response to the transition movement’s problems. wouldn’t it be better to advocate for teaching economics in school so that the population is able to understand politics and vote on a rational basis? that would be a powerful tool against bad governance brought about by the atttitude celebrity politics.
The short documentary pieces were good on the whole, the peak oil section at the beginning was the most useful content but the graphical presentation needs to be slowed down- some numbers and text were rushed over for an unneccesary impression of haste in time to the music, the graphics were clear enough but the way they were phased into view was clumsy.
On the whole I was put off by it.

Nicollas
11 Jun 10:07am

Seems broken here too, no sound nor image with mplayer on linux

Ben Brangwyn
11 Jun 10:19am

This runs fine with latest version of Quicktime on my pc. Get the latest from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Ben Brangwyn
11 Jun 10:19am

FYI, you don’t need Quicktime Pro.

John Walker
11 Jun 10:35am

Er, any chance you can tell us how long the film lasts for so we can fit it snugly into the right slot in our powered-down day? Ta.

Steve Atkins
11 Jun 10:36am

I’m on a mac / have Quicktime 7.6.2 / Safari and Firefox browsers; the movie refused to play the first time I visited the link (broken link).

…but then I visited the link again and it worked straight away, and with sound.

Thanks.

James
11 Jun 11:24am

I want to be able to respond the dave’s comments above and talk about this ‘unfinished’ preview in a more positive way. Trouble is I agree with much that he said. For me the film lacks depth – it is too shallow, to the extent that it is patronising. The intro sequence, with folks pretending to be from the future, does not work. The factual sections were perfunctory and add nothing new. The film does much to reinforce the idea that only a certain type of person ‘does’ transition.

I liked the trailer. I like some of the contributions. I liked Robs little appearance. I admired the film as a voluntary project. But, sorry, I will not be recommending it.

Ben Brangwyn
11 Jun 12:05pm

It’s 60 minutes in duration

Steve Marquis
11 Jun 1:22pm

I have to agree with much of Dave and James comments and hope you can pull this together with them in mind. I am not disheartened, there is good work here but much to be done, it is obviously work in progress and hats of to you for posting it up.
It would appear from the comments I make and those before me that either I/we don’t understand the audience this is aimed at and it’s objectives or it fails to deliver them.
Here are some thoughts…
[This is more cosmetic] Timing of the ticker tape intro texts is too fast and the graphics are good but again too quick.
[This is structural] I liked the trailer and many of the contributions. I think it has some good messages for folks new to Transition and that is a good thing but the delivery could be better structured.
I’m a little concerned with the look and feel of the programme. I feel that while you’ve a suits and pullover mix of folks, there are not enough of the types of folks that may need the message getting across to. I hate to say this, it doesn’t seem aimed at the community, just a part of it.
There looks like too many disparate niche projects that don’t appear to tie in with resolving the problems we face. Restructuring and providing a good voice-over will help but the message doesn’t come across clear or strong enough.
There needs to be a storyline that comes through clear, a vision of the journey, you could annotate it by many of the items presented.
It just doesn’t pull it off for me. I’ve tried my best to be constructive and hope it helps.
Good luck!

Sue
11 Jun 3:29pm

I can get sound but no pictures.

James
11 Jun 5:52pm

Good words Steve.

That the wonderful thing about experiments, they don’t always work. The exciting part is seeing where you went wrong and getting it right next time.

James 2
11 Jun 7:28pm

I feel more supportive to project. I enjoyed the film for what it is. To my mind it is an encouragement for all those people that believe that we must change the way we live and are looking for some inspiration. By definition that excludes the majority of the population who, at the moment, don’t think further than their next holiday. I think as a recruitment tool it works fine, was it ever meant to be more than that?
As the transition principles gain ground and the messages contained within become more relevant then I’m sure the profile of the “transitioner” will naturally represent a broader reflection of society as a whole.

[…] for the next three days… Posted on June 11, 2009 by westclifftransition From the Transition Culture website I’m just off to the shops to get our popcorn then set up the laptop and projector… The […]

Louise
11 Jun 9:41pm

I think Steve captures many of my feelings about the movie. You’ve done a pretty neat job & should be proud of your efforts so far… but we really need to be reaching out to the average family who drive everywhere, eat Maccy Ds and watch tv every night. I didn’t see much representation of them in the film, nor of the suited commuter working in the city etc.
I appreciate that you’re working with what was provided, and I guess a greater proportion of the artier, creative groups in the movement were more inclined to send in their contributions.
Particularly strong parts of the film for me were the Economy, Food & Transport sections. Education didn’t work – maybe rebrand it as community building? – and explain that education (& medicine) are areas that need to be addressed but haven’t been explored yet in as much depth as other areas? … & I have to agree that the visual accompanying Sophy’s part unfortunately does come across as cultish & will turn the mainstream right off (though I’m sure they’re lots of fun for the participants themselves).
I think a key missing element is something to link the ‘Peak oil / Climate change intro’ to the ‘tour of Transition initiate projects’ in the rest of the film. We need the context of the vision we’re aiming for to be hammered home more. The song on the closing titles is brill & does this very well… but it’s too late by then. Could you expand on it a bit more earlier on?

Best of luck – it’s very promising so far.

Kate@LivingTheFrugalLife
11 Jun 10:51pm

I want to echo some of the comments here, but above all to give praise where it’s due. This is a great start on an easy, encapsulated way for those already familiar with the concept, but perhaps not very eloquent or confident, to introduce Transition to those who have no clue. Thank you for the efforts you have put in thus far.

I agree with the comments on cultishness. Too many (read: any) images of hugs and meditation are not going to fly with the deeply conservative and largely rural sentiments of my area. It’ll be the easiest route for them to dismiss this film and message entirely, as subtle as it may have been. The goatees, long hair on men, and spiked hair are going to be just barely tolerable, I’m afraid. Even if everyone who dislikes these things has already seen them in their own grandchildren, that doesn’t mean they’ll be receptive to them.

I really don’t know what to recommend on these issues since I can’t endorse presenting some innocuous, homogenized vision of the Transition movement.

The sections on garden sharing, bicycle repair, and community building will be unobjectionable and even admirable to those in my area. The graphics explaining peak oil will bewilder them. Slowing these segments down and adding more explanation would probably help.

All in all, nice start. I don’t mean my comments to discourage you.

Graham Burnett
12 Jun 12:41am

Not enough punks, dreads, marginalised, mohicans and 4 day stubbled Penny Rimbaud lookey likeys for my tastes Rob, ha ha, only joking! But seriously, I do echo some of the comments that have been made by others about the white, ‘polite’, middle class dominance within the film, but recognise that you could only work with what was available footage wise – but surprised there was no footage of TT Brixton for example, eg, the Abunadance Project on the Guinness Trust Estate, the TT Brixton Unleashing, etc.

I’d also strongly suggest a concerted attempt to cut the film to 45 minutes, which always seesm to me to be the upper limit for effeftiveness on any sort of ‘educational’/awareness raising type documentary. Less is more and all that…

Disagree that the Tranny Training bits weakened the film, I thought they made it more powerful andf raised the issue that Transition is about inner as well as outer transformation, thought the ‘voices from the future’ worked well, maybe the Peak Oil and Climate change exposition animations were slightly shonky and unoriginal, but worked well enough I guess…

But on the whole well done, we watched it right through projected onto our woodchipped wall and it kept our attention. Looking forward to the post feedback, post inclusive remix!

Graham Burnett
12 Jun 12:59am

Have kind of been thinking again about Sophies TT training bit and see Louises’ point – having attended TT training with Sophie myself I saw the footage in the context in which it actaully happened – but if I was a ‘casual’ viewer maybe it could come accross as a bit cultish – my wife certainly said she felt uncomfortable watching that part…

Vojtak
12 Jun 8:23am

Grate film. Being not a native english speaker I support longer time for reading the texts. The structure of the film makes me think of comparison to “The powerdown show”. Whether one should see first the film or the show series.

It is apparently comming time of shifting global>local, specialized>versatile, energy demanding> energy efficient, fast,big,universal>slow,small,particular. The key connection between oil peaking/climate changing reality and the resilient comunities in future is this changing of paradigms. The transition movement is catalyzing primarily this transition in the minds of people. It is helpfull to have a film showing that this is a way and it is beginig to work.
It is a pity that there is not time to show more places and comunities being already resilient and oil independent.

Mary-Jayne Rust
12 Jun 11:41am

there appears to be two separate sets of comments about the film – seems like an interesting and impt discussion and it would help if comments were integrated

Rob Scott
12 Jun 11:43am

I thought it was quite good!

My it echoes awfully in here and it’s all dark.

Paula Kovacs
12 Jun 12:02pm

What moved me about the film was its integrity and authenticity. Here are real people engaging in real grassroots projects in their communities. No Hollywood here. As Lennon said “Just give me the truth’. In fact, watching the film was like seeing Transition Handbook come to life. Transition is a soft revolution in that folks are quietly getting on with what needs to be done – without the endless policies and consultations of the current political system. I liked the idea of fast forwarding to fifty years hence – my only suggestion being that this could be given more prominence in the film. Overall, well done Emma and co. and give that kid in the geodesic dome an Oscar!

Sophia
12 Jun 1:11pm

It has been encouraging to see some great ideas being materialised in various transition towns. I think the film was inspiring and empowering. Im sure it will reach out to those who have wanted to take action to reduce oil dependancy, but who have felt disillusioned with thier abiltity to make a difference. I felt the film mapped out the transition objectives clearly, and pathed the way for a positive vision of the future.

Jason Wingate
12 Jun 3:43pm

I agree with those who said ‘promising’. I thought the first half was way better; then it flagged a little. Very good was how many people said, “When we began we knew sod all about what to do.” That will encourage people.

Personally I would take the culty bit out. Nothing wrong w/ Joanna Macy or whatever but I would keep it separate myself. And BTW I meditate 2 hrs/day! But even some spiritual types don’t like to do that particular thing, check out what John Michael Greer thinks sometime on that.

Some bits in the middle were gimmicky, 2030 news etc., too cute for me, and too much emphasis on the idea that ‘our lives might be even better’, that part to me is too bright-eyed. I also thought there could be more discussion about renewables.

But I liked the texts in the beginning, not too fast for me at all. The ‘350’ animation is and has always been wonderful.

This could turn out great but at the moment it’s only nearly there I think.

Debra Cronenwett
12 Jun 3:47pm

I think this could be an excellent film with a few changes. I could not finish watching it due to the dissonance between the moving lips on the screen and the words being spoken in the audio, and the many times when multiple voices were talking at once. I like the idea of phrases being repeated, so as to emphasize the message, but once a louder voice-over starts, the background voice needs to be turned down or off, and something besides a person talking (out of sync) should be on the screen. I would also suggest that it should always be easy to listen to the most important voice/message, either by making the competing voices too faint to make out or eliminating them altogether. Maybe the ‘tower of babel’ technique doesn’t bother younger people (I’m only 58!) but it literally gave me a headache after 20 minutes. Keep tinkering, please, as I’d like to see the whole thing!

Neil
12 Jun 5:03pm

Nicholas

I watched it fine on ubuntu jaunty (my heart sank when I saw quicktime come up)

about:plugins in firefox reaveals this;

QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0

File name: /usr/lib/totem/gstreamer/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
The Totem 2.26.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.

As to the film I was generally positive about it and found it moving. The training session wouldn’t have been my cup of tea, but we obviously only saw a snapshot of that. There is an issue about the transition movement and diversity, but that’s a bigger issue. The peak bit is bit thin and needs a bit more technical info in. I very much liked it was about the solutions and not just the problems. The energy section was a bit thin, I would have like to see some renewables in there (microgeneration and energy coops), but generally I think it is a useful film.

ceridwen
12 Jun 8:28pm

Well…I’ve had one view of it….and it basically made me smile…and a bit of crying at the end with the kid saying words to the effect of “we thought we couldnt do it – but we did” (whatever way it was phrased). Think I might go back for a second – more considered – view.

Basically – a positive impression. One can see that its a “work in progress” – I guess I’m thinking “a more coherent structure to it would be good” – some sorta “linking” it all together. The graphics at the start could be improved upon – they get the message over – but ‘twould be good to see something a bit “slicker” there.

regards
ceridwen

Matt
12 Jun 11:32pm

Well, I liked it, but I shall have to echo other’s comments above about some of the deficiencies. My personal barometer for acceptance of any of these issues is my own family who are very ordinary and narrow minded. I think they would be put off by the white middle class, hippyish bits, and importantly they would be none the wiser about peak oil and the implications of energy descent in the real world. I think the biggest problem with the film is that it is preaching to the already converted. How would an impartial audience react? That’s hard to say, but I reckon not all of them would watch all of it.

Nevertheless, I was glad to watch it and think one of it’s greatest strengths was in the sense of possibility and brotherhood around the world – maybe that’s enough? Good luck!
PS – agree about the song at the end – fantastic and should be played more throughout.

Greenpa
12 Jun 11:44pm

Rob- take heart! Looks to me like we have a lot of folks with little experience in professional criticism.

Guys- a huge amount of the “but I didn’t like this part” stuff here is actually identical to the kid’s complaint about “this is terrible chocolate ice cream!” – when, in fact, the kid has been given a bowl of raspberry frozen yoghurt.

My perspective- hey, it bored me to tears. As a viewer. Um; because… I’ve known all this stuff since before half of you were born. :-)

But- as someone seriously interested in Transition, and spreading the word- I find it pretty darn exciting.

It’s not going to make all audiences jump up and down in their seats with joy at the arrival of the messiah. I really think, though, that it is perfectly suited to some audiences- and they will love it.

For those audiences; I think it’s great- as is. For other audiences- it’s wonderful place to start tailoring versions for them.

You really didn’t think one film was going to fit all, did you?

chris hayes
13 Jun 12:30am

well done. opening text is snappy and good. gets you in the mind frame and leads nicely into the solutions, solutions, solutions….
white people can start revolutions also. the white spoilt westerners are hugely responsible for all the mess, good to see them trying to right some wrongs.

Mandy
13 Jun 12:31am

Hi All,

I enjoyed the film very much as a reflection of what some ordinary people are doing in response to big challenges. With a budget of £17,500, as I think Rob said at the conference, I think it is a great achievement. Yes it has rough edges and I hope it will evolve as time goes on.

As something to show to existing groups I think it is a very important tool – just knowing that there are other groups in many other places all working towards the same goals is very encouraging and supportive for people. It’s not just us here in our little group in our insignificant community but a whole bunch of groups all over the place doing interesting and practical things that any of us can do. It might also encourage and inspire more people to film stuff for “In Transition – 2″

We didn’t send in film from our initiative because it felt like we were still very early on in our process and because a lot of what we do doesn’t feel like scintillating viewing – but is nonetheless important and useful. I wonder if a lot of other groups felt the same.

Something that keeps returning to me when I think about Transition is Gil Scott Heron’s song “The revolution will not be televised”, just because a lot of what goes on is quiet and slow and under the radar.

Well done to all those who took the time to make films and to those who put it together.

Marina
13 Jun 3:04am

I think the movie is fantastic. I enjoyed every segment of it and couldn’t see any faults until I’ve read some comments here. Perhaps you are right in your criticism but all in all it’s uplifting, inspiring and charged with enthusiasm. It probably appeals to some audience more than to the other but those who this movie talks to are our best and most reliable force. If these people come together and pull this off, then others will follow. Cheers.

Jim Weber
13 Jun 3:29am

Views nicely here in Cincinnati, OH, USA using Quicktime 7.

For a low budget film, it is very nicely done. Running time seems about right and could have more diversity but understand that may not be possible there. What comes across very clearly is the heartfelt involvement and commitment to a better way of life by the individuals in the film.

I am looking forward to its release so that I can share ii on our community. Thanks for the chance to see this preview.

Neil Chadborn
13 Jun 11:23am

Great film! Being a transition person I may be biased, but I thought it was a great presentation of the transition ‘work in progress’. The criticisms above suggest that transition culture is a polished finished thing that we can pick and choose the most ‘politically correct’ excerpts in order to convince ‘the masses’.
The personal/values aspect of transition is, I think, the most important. We’re talking about a major change in lifestyle – people need to adjust to this and come to terms with this. If we’re scared of showing people meditate (and hugging-shock horror!) then we can’t really make much progress.
Stop criticising and start showing your friends and discussing these issues.

Christine Robins
13 Jun 1:21pm

“rusting your popcorn”: I seldom eat popcorn with such a high iron content that it rusts!

Greenpa
13 Jun 1:49pm

And I need to retract “bored to tears” – I watched it again, with my wife- and she was riveted.

By the PEOPLE. My original and foolish “bored” was in regard to all those pesky facts about oil and climate- but very obviously, those have to be there for the majority of all audiences.

The people show several truly extraordinary things. Everyone taking part- owns the movement. That is an absolutely stunning achievement. And therein lies the great hope.

There is no nonsense about “this is the one true path”- quite the contrary. There is a universal and highly refreshing attitude of “we don’t know if this will work- but we’re going ahead.”

The movie stretches farther than I thought at first viewing.

Marina
13 Jun 3:21pm

I think the film is fantastic. I haven’t noticed any faults until I’ve read some comments here. Perhaps you are right in your criticism but the entire movie is uplifting, inspiring and charged with enthusiasm. The movie might appeals to some audience more than to the other but those who this movie talks to are our best and most reliable force. If these people come together and pull this off, then others will follow. Cheers.

Hart Jansson
13 Jun 6:08pm

I thought the film was done well overall. A very good introduction / overview with real people and real situations. I live near Toronto, so this is a ‘North American ‘ opinion. The best part for me was near the end when Rob was talking to the Loacal Authority reps. You might consider putting this closer to the beginning, because it gets across the major objectives / themes (oil consumption is a vulnerability, resilience is the primary objective, local governments think its a good idea). I thought the ‘2030 news’ bit was weak (ie did not covey much of a messagefor me), and that the Energy bit was much too narrow. I also feel that 45 minutes might be the ‘best’ length: it gives a good overview with substance, and can fit in too many types of meetings.

Patrick
13 Jun 6:22pm

This is a wonderful alternative to all the documentaries showing the “doom” we are facing with peak oil, climate change and economic collapse. Seeing real communities actually working on alternatives to business-as-usual gives me some hope that we can get something similar rolling here in the U.S.

Good job!

[…] Please Take Your Seats Ladies and Gentlement, the Online Screening of ‘In Transition’ Starts Now… The film ‘In Transition’ is now available for viewing, for the next 72 hours. The version being screened is not the final version, it still has a sequence to add and some tidying up to do, but is almost there. We very much hope you enjoy it (you will need Quicktime on your computer)…. […]

logspirit
13 Jun 11:42pm

The seriousness and depth of the problems of Peak Oil, Climate Change, Overpopulation, Mass Extinction, Toxins (and in myriad combinations), Water shortages, Soil erosion, Epidemics, Famine, Bloodlust and War (from eating animals and other greeds)… May require a bit more than growing vegetables, changing a few light bulbs and driving an electric car (while you still can, if you can afford it). Unless the real situation facing humanity — it’s trajectory towards extinction — is impressed upon viewers, it will all seem like just another festival in the park, with rock music and smoke. We don’t have time to fiddle around worrying about who may be offended by the truth. The impoverished are already suffering miserably, a dramatic preview for the rest of us. We are deep into overshoot and unfortunately reductions in human population are inevitable… the actual carrying capacity of this planet must be addressed honestly. We must have a plan to ease the pain, to arrive at the most fair and equitable reductions possible — and to try to reduce birth pressure. We will go from 6.8 billion now, perhaps through a rise to 12 billion, then through a horrible decline to perhaps 1 billion during the next 200 years. I don’t hear anyone discussing a voluntary global birth moratorium for several years between official ‘birthing years’, a planning scheme that ‘primitive’ societies have cooperatively accomplished, to keep their numbers in tune with their local resource base. Even then we will still have the toxins etc. Hard times and tough choices. Optimism that is not based on a full accounting of all the facts will always be annoyingly trite, and in the end, useless.

Steve
14 Jun 12:10am

Overall 4.5 / 5 stars. I’d like to see:

a) slower text graphics,

b) more sense of urgency / more doomer … to highlight the seriousness of the problem and contrast the POSITIVENESS of Transition rather then being overwhelmed by negativity, and

c) a tad more up-tempo “let’s get going”-ness.

I’m a member of a Transition Town in England and have to say that the clips of people’s fun in coming together is spot-on. And that experience is novel to many, filling a true void.

For other cultural groups: an explanation. Most in the UK have no regular pan-social gatherings, religion having died as a mass movement here in the 1960’s. Previously mixing happened by meeting people at church… but those days are gone and churches are long empty. People just do not mix that much now; for over 80% the last experience of intermixing is education (which is why, to me, educational styles crop up).

This film was good! (perhaps James Howard Kunstler would have done it differently… :)

Jim Weber
14 Jun 1:28am

We had the opportunity today screen the preview with over 75 folks at the Earth Spirit Rising conference in Cincinnati. It was very well received and applauded at the end. We lost a few folks about 45 minutes into it, so it may be a bit long. You could probably cut the food section, as it seems quite a bit longer than the others. And the section on training could definitely be cut, as it relates more to administration than information about organizational structure. Thanks again for you great effort and sharing this preview.

John A. Jauregui
14 Jun 2:05am

I think this story confirms the rumor that world oil production peaked in 2004 and is now in permanent decline, with little hope finding new large undiscovered oil fields anywhere on the planet similar to Mexico’s Canterell, which is now in sharp decline. What oil is left is our bridge to what ever comes next. I feel it criminal that the Democratic Party is now trying to make this a TOLL BRIDGE through Waxman’s Cap&Trade/Carbon Offset Tax bill now before Congress for passage and implementation.

Raye
14 Jun 2:18am

Thanks for this film. It is positive, and direct. I think that it is good to work on making people aware of the option of taking action. I suspect many people are in a very passive, waiting frame of mind, overwhelmed and in denial. Perhaps this movie can help draw some people out of that torpor.

Marina
14 Jun 2:28am

Sorry for my previous double post. What I found puzzling is that that there are no segments from North America. Am I missing something here or it’s not represented in the movie? I know we in Canada are pretty much in early stage but there are established TT communities in the States.

Steve Marquis
14 Jun 11:34am

I absolutely agree Patrick, certainly no doom here and hooray for that.

It is interesting to re-read the comments and see how they’ve developed since the film was posted. There’s lots of positive views and I think the negative ones were trying to be constructive.

I believe we all take a positive view of the film and in addition have various personal ideas as to who it might be aimed at and in what context and as a consequence what “improvements” may be made.

The creators of this thought provoking piece will know the context and audience and take what they see fit from the comments and adjust if they feel they need to.

It would be nice to know what the objectives / audience were but I understand that they are not essential for the amazing array of feedback given which must be of tremendous value.

Steve Marquis
14 Jun 11:37am

I’m not sure that added anything to the discussion, but what the heck, hey ho!

Rich
14 Jun 12:36pm

OK, so where’s the movie?

Ed Brown
14 Jun 1:03pm

Rob,

I have spent 2-3 hours trying to watch this movie – twice. It is very frustrating for me, a non-techie, to try and make the video work. I guess I’ll have to wait to see the film.

I’m just finishing the Transition Handbook – an excellent guide for power down.

Thanks for all you do to make this a better world!

claudia
14 Jun 4:32pm

This film cannot be viewed from a PC – can you fix it?
i saw it earlier on amac, but it wont work from any PC we´ve tried….. please help, as we want to watch it!!!!!!!!

Peter Bralesford
14 Jun 5:47pm

Just something that might work for all the people who are having trouble. After a little wizardry, I’ve been able to download the film. I should be able to convert it into a format that nearly all computers can play, I’ll post the link when I’m done, if it’s all right with Rob, that is.

Transition Housewife
14 Jun 6:07pm

I watched this yesterday and was impressed. Yes it needs a bit of tweaking – I agree with other comments about renaming the section making bags from education to community or perhaps even reskilling. The scrolling text was a bit fast.

The visioning exercises are powerful, but the meditation session does look odd (and the group meditation idea is a bit strange for most people anyway) so I too would probably cut that and include some of the future news items from the Transition Town book instead.

All in all a great positive film, full of solutions and ideas. I can’t wait to see the final version. Congrats to everyone involved.

Mark Illingworth
14 Jun 6:40pm

I’ve only recently found out about the transition town concept after reading an article in the UK while holidaying from Perth, Western Australia. So, having read the various primers etc on the website, it was great to be able to preview the video with my wife today and put some faces to the names.

What we like about the presentation (and the transition concept generally) is that it is a positive based sticky idea (like Rob says) that brings together various people’s “heart burst” responses to the disparate issues that We (capital W) are facing. This is the strength of the transition concept – while I might not have a passion for say “local food production” my passion for say “connecting isolated neighbours” or “recycling clothing” brings me together with those others who have a transition mindset and want to see a “better future”.

So I see this video as a great way of bringing people together who already have a heart for this sort of stuff and giving us a common language and shared direction and purpose. That is, its a good primer (as is http://www.thestoryofstuff.com).

We took notes of some of the cool positive ideas while watching (loved the Ooooby store, Garden share scheme, oil memorial and the 50 mile/kilometre meal challenge) and we look forward to getting a group together in Perth (I’ve already been sending links etc back home!!) Well done :-)

Rich
14 Jun 7:04pm

I click on the link in the note above and then it says to click on the image.
I’ve done this several times yesterday and today and the image has no link associated with it?
So why bother doing this if apparently many people can not view it!

Kris
14 Jun 7:53pm

Like, Rich, I clicked on the image. There is no link associated with image. Why is that? Am in US, does that make a difference?

j. eric smith
14 Jun 7:53pm

Incredible! Spot-on! Its content and tone( very calm, almost relaxed) are perfect for where we need to be right now. And I love the british sensibility, they are a wonderful civilizing influence on the planet (while we drown in Harley Davidson bikers here in the U.S.). Take a deep breath and call your neighbor- today.Go!Go!

Jane Buttigieg
14 Jun 8:10pm

I thought it was great. The only thing I would change would be the fast and irritating techno type music when the peak oil graphs were being shown. It would be good to see the text slowed down at this point, and perhaps some really mellow music, such as the instrumental bits from ‘The Seeds’ but without the words.

Having read some of the comments above, I think there is far too much worrying and fretting over this whole ‘hippy/middle class/tree hugging’ stuff. I come from a very working class family but have had a university education. OK, so white middle class people are currently predominant in Transition, but someone needs to start the ball rolling, don’t they? To me, Transition is the very first movement you see when a ball is at the top of a peak. Someone has to start things off, and it’s not going to be those who haven’t had access to peak oil and climate change info beyond the tabloids and Sky news. Many people on low incomes are probably too stressed and don’t have the time to get on board with this…YET…but when things get worse, this movement will provide them with something they can jump on board with and adapt to their own vision. We must all just keep going with this and stop all the beating up about tree hugging. Someone’s got to start the ball rolling and it looks like they are from this movie, so let’s stop all the griping!

Steve Marquis
14 Jun 8:17pm

It just fired up again on my PC OK and it’s 20:30 BST

Steve Marquis
14 Jun 8:18pm

20:13 BST, finger trouble!

Steve Marquis
14 Jun 8:19pm

Hear hear Jane!

julian duggan
14 Jun 10:19pm

Well said ‘logspirit’ this is exactly what needs saying and hearing but curiously nobody has responded!I’m afraid that people just haven’t even begun to join the dots yet and to appreciate the crisis we are already decades in to.The class thing became blindingly clear to me at a recent ‘green’meeting when suggesting it might make sense to eat pigeons and rabbits etc I (a vegetarian)was looked at as if I had landed from mars.I think they preferred ‘line-caught’ tuna!
Market economies whatever colour they are (green) doom us all to drown in our own stuff. Sorry to any out there offended by negative vibes but on a day when it is reported the Peruvian state are massacering indigenous Indians trying to protect their homelands from the exploits of western multinationals (machine guns from helicoptors)I think we need to get real.
If I could type with more than one finger I would have a proper rant!

Angel
15 Jun 4:46am

Having just (3 hours ago!) finished a Transition Initiative training, the movie’s visuals, positive attitude, and we-can-do-this-together message was deeply profound. May I humbly suggest that the naysayers of the emotional work portrayed in the film return to the Heart-and-Soul workshop, immediately! :-)

I did have technical difficulties, the soundtrack “played” twice with a 2-3 second delay between each.

I felt the inter-generational sections were the most compelling; as a parent and a food activist I can only hope that 60 years from now my grandchildren look back on these times with relief and thankfulness for the courage displayed and corrective actions taken. By us. Now.

I appreciate this great start to telling a different story. I look forward to viewing it with my friends and community.

Rob
15 Jun 7:23am

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated. There is some very useful and constructive cricitism there that we will take on board. Just a couple of things I wanted to come back on. Firstly this is clearly not a film for everyone… as Greenpa notes, having been involved in this stuff for years there was little to sustain his interest initially… it has always been a question about where to pitch it. Secondly, in answer to Marina’s question about why there is not more stuff from the US in it, we had no budget to send a filmcrew over, and no-one in the US sent us any footage! Hopefully, for Version 2.0, there will be loads. Get filming! Lastly, with regards to Peter Bralesford having worked out a way of copying and offering to post a link, we’d really rather you didn’t Peter. This has been a limited run preview, of an unfinished version of the film, and we would really prefer that this version of the film didn’t end up copied and distributed all over the place. Won’t be long until the final version emerges.

Thanks all for your comments, whether gushing or damning. I loved the one that pointed out that I had talked about people ‘rusting their popcorn’, an odd mental picture indeed….

Graham Burnett
15 Jun 8:19am

Cheers Rob – interesting evolution of comments here – the film was posted up as a rough mix with an acknowledment that its a work in progress that will be changed, presumably with the intention of eliciting feed back, both positive and constructively negative, this was given, plenty of ideas for tweaks, things that could be included, things that might be cut. Then the feedback to the feedback started to become ‘don’t knock it’, ‘obviously you people arn’t professional critics’, etc… No I’m not a professional critic, bit does that mean I should keep my views on the film quiet or join a chorus of uncritical acclaim rather than engage in a conversation about how the film might be improved? I’m sure if Rob didn’t want feedback he would have disabled the ‘add comments’ feature long ago….

Rob
15 Jun 9:08am

Indeed

Peter Bralesford
15 Jun 10:44am

Ok Rob, I’ll delete the file. I look forward to seeing the final release.

James
15 Jun 3:51pm

Hi Rob et.al

Please do take my comments seriously. Transition is too important for us not to make the very best impression.

Emma - film maker
15 Jun 4:00pm

Thanks for all the comments. Just to answer the question about the objectives/audience for the film…Before I started editing the film I wrote down 3 things to help guide me with decision making: who the audience was; what the objectives were and what tone and approach I was aiming for.

So the intended audience was: anyone looking for a solution to global problems that were ready to take action; and anyone thinking of starting up Transition who wanted to know more about what that might be like. The objective was twofold: to celebrate and honour how far the Transition Movement has come; and to inspire newcomers to pick up the model and give it a go themselves. The approach and tone was soft and light.

It’s important to remember that people who were setting up Transition initiatives asked for a film to be made that would be a useful tool in the early campaigning stage. We deliberately made it version 1.0 so that others could take the modular approach and remove sections and add their own to update the film so that it keeps growing with the movement. Once it is released – anyone involved in Transition will have the right to use whatever bits they want to remake it.

I’d really like to see film makers, especially in non UK countries, film their local Transition projects and add to the diversity in the film. I’m looking forward to version 1.1. and pass the baton over to John Swain in the USA and Andreas Teuchert in Germany to be the first to give this a go.

Vidar Kristiansen
15 Jun 8:01pm

I saw the movie twice. In my opinion just about all of it was a positive experience. Although, this sitting in circles, talking about one’s feelings, hugging, touching and meditating, as has been pointed out gives a small part of the movie a little cultist flair to it, is not my cup of tea either.

It is, of course, a difficult task to decide on which audience to target and then how to address them in the best possible way. I think some of the criticism that has been raised here is constructive and I also think that some is to harsh. Like when some of the people posting says that the movie only shows a certain type of people.

To which I would like to answer that, of course, it does. The majority of the population is still occupied spending most of the time from they wake up to they go to bed working to fill their lives with more and more consumer goods. Goods that they hardly have the time to use, because they are always so busy working to be able to get more. Those are the very people whose lifestyle the transition is a transition away from. Complaining that they are not in the movie, is a little like asking where are all the obese people in a footage from the New York marathon.

I tried to get the press in my home country, Norway, interested in the preview of the movie. I sent an email about it to a list I have of most Norwegian newspapers and tv-stations. If you have not heard anything directly from the Norwegian news media, I would have to say that they show no interest whatsoever in the transition movement for the time being. I scrutinized the visit log of our Norwegian blog to see if there were any direct hits on an entry I wrote about the transition movement a whole back. I put a link to this entry in the email. But I found no hit at all from any IP pointing to someone in the news media. They are much more eager to write about people who “knock things down for the planet” than people doing something to build the future in a constructive way, unfortunately.

By the way. Are most of you transition people vegetarians? Because you always seem to talk a lot about growing your own food, but hardly ever about breeding your own food, as far as I can tell.

Kind regards
Vidar Kristiansen, Oslo Norway
Green Life Innovators
“Green Tech the Open Source way”

David Howells
15 Jun 8:58pm

As an ex film editor and a member of Sustainable Frome, I would have loved to have seen this film but alas I think I have missed the deadline.I possibly could have made the odd constructive comment on the present rough cut. As past experience has shown and as Graham comments indicated it may have been too long. Unless you have amazing footage based on a minimum of a 10 to 1 ratio you often don’t always have the ingredients to make the film crisp, focused and hard hitting.

Mary-Jayne Rust
16 Jun 7:37am

I would very much like to know how you will address the issue of diversity. I think version 1.0 is great, but isn’t it a bit arrogant not to appreciate that the transition movement is part of a much wider global movmement which has been growing for many many years – and is very diverse (see Paul Hawken on this)? As well as having clips from other mmore diverse communities, it would seem important to add a piece on diversity, with a question about why the environmental movement has remained so white middle class. I think it’s a really intersting question if Transition is going to become resilient.

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 8:18am

I do know that the Transition Town Brixton ABUNDANCE project, which is about food growing on the Guinness Trust estate that has a mainly working class population, predominantly Irish and Afro-Carribean, has been filmed by the project funders as I was there at the time. Whether TTB have access to the footage is of course another story, but if this could be acquired it could make a valuable addition to the film. Anyone from Transition Town Brixton reading this that might know whether this footage could be obtained and sent to Emma?

[…] Go here to read the rest:  Please Take Your Seats Ladies and Gentlement, the Online Screening … […]

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 4:50pm

> The majority of the population is still occupied spending most of the time from they wake up to they go to bed working to fill their lives with more and more consumer goods. Goods that they hardly have the time to use, because they are always so busy working to be able to get more. Those are the very people whose lifestyle the transition is a transition away from. Complaining that they are not in the movie, is a little like asking where are all the obese people in a footage from the New York marathon.

No disrespect to you Vidar, but I do quite tire of this condescending attitude to ‘the majority of the population’ and the idea that anybody can know what motivates anybody else, or whether they are driven by choice or necessity or what their circumstances might be. My understanding of Transition isn’t that its about transitioning away from ‘those people’ and their lifestyles, its about graceful and designed energy descent for a post oil, post carbon world. At the top of this page Rob asks how might our response to peak oil and climate change look more like a party – to be honest the only parties I’m interested in attending are those where everybody is welcome, and not certainly not the kind of party that has a restricted entry policy based on class, ethnicity, lifestyle or diet.

Sorry to Rob and Emma if this is an inappropriate thread to continue what seesm to be turning into a debate, but these sort of comments really do raise my hackles and I find it difficult to let them pass unchallenged.

Vidar Kristiansen
16 Jun 5:41pm

Well, Graham

To continue on the “party” thread. The way I see it, we are in a situation that is like this. We got this cool party place, lets call it Club Earth. Club Earth has a big dance floor. But the dance floor has been very heavily used for a long time, and right now someone has been down to the basement and observed that the floor is about to break and send the dancers plunging down. So they go up to the party and say “sorry, no more dancing on that floor, because it’s about to break “. The dancers are not going to be happy about that.

I don’t believe my description of the mind set of typical westerners is inaccurate. We were all brought up to think that way, by massive advertising campaigns hammering away on us every day. I’m no exception. I was brought up to think that way too. That happiness lies in getting your hands on more and more consumer goods. And you don’t need to get inside everyone’s head to conclude that this seems to be the way that many people still think. Their actions clearly points in that direction.

The fact that we now have to settle for another kind of party is not going to please everyone. The root cause might be the deteriorating floor, but the dancing needs to stop nevertheless.

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 7:02pm

Vidar, at the risk of labouring my point and to put the discussion back into the context of the Transition Film, mine and others criticisms of the film as it stands, beyond relatively minor technical points, is that groups that are not white, middle class and ‘respectable’ are unrepresented. Personally I don’t believe that this actually represents either the spirit or the reality of Transition, or if it does it certainly needs to be addressed if ‘we’ are to have any claims to being inclusive and person centred. The riposte that has come back that I and others are ‘not professional critics’ (in itself a telling comment if class is indeed an issue) and should ‘stop griping’. Hmmm, fair enough, however your comment troubles me more fundementally, for it implies to me that anybody not represented thus far in the film doesn’t actaully belong there as they are nothing but mindless consumers who don’t know any better, unlike the positive and enlightened beings who have ‘seen the light’ and will lead the way to the better green world, or perhaps I have misunderstood you?

Vidar Kristiansen
16 Jun 7:21pm

It’s not my intention claiming that some people should be excluded from the invitation list. Everyone should be invited to the new party at Club Earth. It’s just that the dance floor of Disco Oil in Club Earth is about to cave in, and if you are coming to the party that means that you can not dance there any more. Is there any way of breaking that news to the most dance loving part of the population in a more gentle way than the transition movement has done in this film?

Vidar Kristiansen
16 Jun 8:00pm

I would like to add something. I have so far addressed the issue of people having spending habits that will not survive an energy deprivation.

Talking about the people in this world who have a standard of living that is not even close to the European middle class, that would be quite a different discussion. Because, I believe, that they will probably need a transition along a whole different path than the one laid out by the transition movement so far.

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 8:10pm

For sure, but the assumption that it is only the white, respectable middle classes who are able to ‘break the news’ continues to offend me. The makers of the Transition Film appear to have taken this on board and are talking about making changes accordingly, however according to some it seems this is unnecessary and apparently even inappropriate, for it is already doing enough to ‘spread the positive news’. Maybe there is more of a need for a conversation about class issues within Transition than I had previously acknowledged?

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 8:11pm

NB. My reply was intended to be made to your earlier post, not the second one which I hadn’t seen.

Vidar Kristiansen
16 Jun 9:09pm

Graham, I just had a look at the photos of the attendees of your permaculture training courses on your web page. They also seem to show largely the same type of people that “In Transition” does.

Graham Burnett
16 Jun 10:03pm

Your point?

James
16 Jun 10:19pm

What worries me about the discussion above is that we even have to think about the demographics of viewers. Did Rebecca Hosking spend for ever debating it before producing the seminal ‘A Farm for the Future?’ Does Franny Armstrong aim at a certain sector of the community with ‘Age of Stupid’? ‘In Transition’ just needs to tell the truth in an objective, honest well-researched and when required, scientific terms. There should be no emotional tampering. When viewers are confronted with facts (even ones unpalatable to the transition movement) they become interested and inspired. That is the strength of Robs Book and should be the cornerstone of ‘In Transition’. My adverse reaction (and that of my family) was that the film in it’s present format is not yet pragmatic and honest enough – it uses too much emotional trickery. Emotional tricks work well on a certain sector of the community (usually those with a strong sense of the ‘spiritual’) which is why the film felt as if it was aimed at a particular type of person.

Vidar Kristiansen
16 Jun 10:21pm

Graham, My point is that your web page seems to underline that “In Transition” painted a pretty accurate picture as to which type of people are mostly involved in transition at this stage.

Graham Burnett
17 Jun 10:46am

Well I kind of feel that I’ve made my points and to argue them any further would be counterproductive and not a good use of my time or yours Vidar. I’m not sure that we totally understand where each other are coming from and that perhaps to some degree we are misunderstanding each other. But whats important is that Rob and the film makers have had the feedback they were asking for, and will hopefully take on board the suggestions and consider adapting the film accordingly, and also maybe that the issue of class in transition and how we ‘market’ transition has been raised on the agenda for maybe more detailed discussion elsewhere.
Good luck to you and all your projects!

Vidar Kristiansen
17 Jun 10:58am

Yes, I agree that we need not take the debate any further. Good luck to you and your projects too.

Tom A
17 Jun 11:13am

+1 for James’s comment above. After 90 odd comments I think he has nailed it!

Kamil Pachalko
18 Jun 11:44am

This is an interesting discussion hopefully valuable to the film producers.

The theme that the film needs to appeal to different types of people seems to repeat itself throughout the posts. I wonder if someone looked at any research done in that area. This would inform the film producers and they would construct the message in the film to do exactly that.

I’m not an expert but I’ve stumbled over two approaches recently and would love to see someone with a better understanding of those things comment on the film through their lens.

————-
I’ve found a valuable website http://www.campaignstrategy.org and http://www.cultdyn.co.uk and their model describing how our values underpin our decisions. They basically map society on the base of their values and explain how one has to communicate with people in various groups to affect change.

This presentation gives a very good visual explanation to the model and shows examples of strategies for climate change campaigns to reach to people with diverse sets of values http://www.campaignstrategy.org/articles/int_values_campaign.pdf The article http://www.campaignstrategy.org/articles/VBCOP_unifying_strategy_model.pdf shows a practical application of the model while the http://www.cultdyn.co.uk website and newsletters on http://www.campaignstrategy.org explain the theory behind it.
———
Fourcultures This theory is a bit different from the above but again suggests that there are four cultures within society. http://fourcultures.com/

another james (the editor)
18 Jun 4:54pm

What a fascinating thread, starting with Dave’s ‘it’s put me right off’ and ending up with a debate about demographic and class – fantastic. It’s also great to see the comments becoming more and more positive, even with a retraction of the (glaringly subjective) ‘bored me to tears’ comment.

All media is representation – there cannot be an absolute truth in a piece of TV – its a ridiculous idea. Manipulation is inherent in the medium due to editing. In Transition’s simple collection of stories, soft measured tone, lack of overarching narrative (it doesn’t try to ‘tell’ you anything) is us deliberately attempting to make the presentation as neutral-as-possible. However I can understand why some found this approach irritating.

The film is the result of a thoughtful sift through tens of hours of footage, with a selection process based on showing a good ‘general mix’ of projects, depending on what was sent in. Is ‘In Transition’ truly representative of the gender/class/ethnic balance of the movement ? On a global level probably not, but for the UK, it probably is. For a single mum on benefits, or a struggling family in a highrise, buying local organic food is a joke, but if we had ‘positively discriminated’ a different ethnic/class balance in the film wouldn’t that have been worse ?

A group shutting eyes and visualising a better future ‘cultish’ ? If the people involved had been wearing suits would this sequence have elicited the same response ? It would seem to me very sad if the more spiritual side of the movement, personal transition, needed to be airbrushed out just because it makes a few people uneasy.

In retrospect I think the lesson learnt is that it’s an impossible task to make a transition film. A diverse cross cultural international movement probably just can’t be represented by a single piece of media. Maybe In Transition 2.0 should be an interactive pool of small stories contributed from around the world, where the viewer can create their own film, dynamically strung together via a few clicks on a web interface. In this way, transition media could sidestep representation, and become culturally and socially relevant to each viewer, whatever their background or location.

Janaia Donaldson
21 Jun 2:41am

Some comments on the film itself~
I think it is not clear who the intended audience is. Emma, I think of your two audiences, it is most suitable for those thinking of starting up Transition. If for anyone concerned about responding to the problems, I think a film would go beyond the Transition movement.

The real way to know whether it speaks to your target audience is to run some focus-group-type screenings and get feedback. If for those not-acquainted with Transition but aware of the problems – I think their feedback would be crucial, particularly for Transitioners who want to educate/recruit.

I miss a good concise introduction of what Transition is at the outset, after the problems are laid out. Jennifer Gray did that in our Peak Moment Conversation “The Transition Movement Comes to America” (www.peakmoment.tv/conversations/?p=254), and it is a good base from which to then show all the examples of Transition in action.

The narrative arc is somewhat discontinuous. The film begins midway in the twenty-first century, with the elders looking back and the children remembering. Did I miss a narrative link saying something like, “here’s some of the early projects”? It would seem the backcasting device could’ve been used more fully, since it opens and closes the film.

Overall, I think it meets your objective, Emma, quite well: it celebrates Transition and documents its early phase. With a spirit and tone that is upbeat and positive, just like Transition aims for.

I hope for more robust examples of education in future.

For an earlier commenter about nothing taped in North America in the film – we invite you (and all Transition folk) to view Peak Moment Conversations with groups and individuals working on the transition, whether they call it relocalization, sustainability, building local communities, permaculture, Transition, or just doing the right thing. Most of our programs were taped on the west coast US & Canada; we hope to tape elsewhere in the continent in future and welcome contacts and ideas. About 150 episodes up on http://www.peakmoment.tv.

For the commenters concerned about class, race, gender: most of our guests too are white middle class (which I plan to expand from), but sociology professor Rowan Wolfe does a good job of raising issues for the broader society (“Social Effects of Peak Oil”, episode 69).

Janaia Donaldson (host/producer)

Dylan Prins
23 Jun 10:29am

[Oh yeah, i should actually post my comments before i forget them… ]

Firstly, thank you to the film makers and other transition people who put this together and published it for this feedback opportunity. Seems rather rare to have an input and to have more ownership over the forthcoming film, but also an appropriate process for the transition movement.

Also like to acknowledge the other unique aspect which is the “open source” film making experience. From my past dabblings in film making i can appreciate how challenging it must be to work with footage from varying sources. One suggestion i might make if you would like to even out the geographical representation would be to use the old ‘ken burns effect’ stills with audio stories from those areas (assuming they exist, in podcasts perhaps?).

I screened this film to friends and a family a few times so some of their comments have come through below. All were impressed, a friend of mine was just walking by then he was glued to a seat for the rest of the film.

Ahh what a nice opening, the young+old characters are a good tool and the intertwining sentences which follow is just beautifully done.

Some disagreements:
* i think many of the early comments re: cult elements aren’t to be worried about
* i do not believe that “converting the masses” should be a focus of this film – rather to nourish the curious potential transitioner and provide unity to growing transition communities scattered around.

Some quick agreements:
* 45 mins a good upper limit
* editor james re:cultish vs suits !!
* paula kovacs comments..
* news scenes too ‘loose’, can be tightened up in relevance and duration
* perfect amount of gloom (ie, very little)

a couple other things:
* my folks were able to understand the peak oil section so i think its fine, nice succinct coverage, with that good ole heinberg voice over. future generations of music producers will sample the guy for sure..
* apart from the natural UK beginnings, there is perhaps too strong an NZ representation unless you want to show that theres a huge movement there (i dont know if there is or isnt..)
* perhaps just a little too much of the cute kid? his pauses tend to reveal a scripted undertone after hearing him multiple times..

Just a few technical things: quicktime ?? please consider a more common player next time, the strange waiting times, temperamental playing and all the QT interlacing was prob not worth it. Something like bliptv or vimeo might be worth looking into.. and wordpress just started a nice video publishing tool. Also my film maker friend suggests changing the scrolling texts to still titles..

Thanks again to all involved for your efforts and engaging the community in this dialogue.

warm regards,

Dylan Prins, Marrickville, Sydney AUS

Rhiannon
25 Jun 5:56am

Hi

We watched the film as part of our transition town invercargill (NZ) meeting and we really liked it. Looking through the comments it seems like a lot of the ground has been covered by others but here are our comments:

We liked the music-video style presentation of facts at the beginning but thought it just needed to be a little slower. Also better techno music if possible.

A little shorter would be good. Maybe 45 minutes?

Diversity – this has been covered by others and perhaps the ‘white middle class’ impression may be unavoidable given the membership of the group & film you had

The ‘cute kid’ alienated some people in our group – but others loved him so it shows you cant please everyone

We liked the people looking back from the future.

Obviously we loved all the NZ coverage but understand if this needs to be cut down!

Overall we thought it was a great job and we look forward to being able to show people the finished version.

Lance
29 Jun 8:37pm

The main thing I want to say is Thank You for creating a very well-made and effective film. It conveys important information and lets the viewer “be with” people who are working on — and experiencing — the Transition Town enterprise.

There is one thing I would modify: I would have liked it even more if it had touched my feelings more. Naturally, sharing information is essential, but I think emotional impact greatly enhances engagement and motivation. In fact, I consider it indispensable.

The emotional experience that I DID have while viewing the film was often lovely … the calm clarity and composure of some of the speakers was admirable. It’s heartening to see that such composure can be a part of addressing huge challenges.

But the presentation that got me involved in my local Transition Town had a brightness to it. A very engaging woman gave a talk with a well-crafted PowerPoint presentation. She was warm and cheerful and lively, and she expressed a wonderful confidence in the TT approach, partly because of the proven principles of Permaculture, and partly because of the many wise, sweet, and savvy design features of the TT vision. When I listened to her, I was powerfully engaged and motivated, and soon thereafter, I became a
founding member of our local Initiating Group.

Another example of media outreach that I find emotionally strong is this wonderful slideshow-with-music, “Transition Towns New Zealand”:

I hope these comments are useful, and I thank you again for your important work in support of the Transition Towns movement.

[…] Transitional Culture — Rob Hopkins writes: We live at a fascinating point in history. The convergence of challenges, most particularly global warming and peak oil, have brought us to a point where we are profoundly challenged to act. We are surrounded by what poet Gary Snyder, in his classic poem For the Children called “The rising hills, the slopes, of statistics” and by individuals telling us that this means the end, that we have gone too far, that it is inevitable that life as we know it will collapse catastrophically and very soon. […]